Sunday, December 13, 2009

Reaction to "Girl"

A great way to connect with a book ... for yourself or your students. Write a reaction to something you've read. I had to do this to a text called "Girl". In quotes is the portion I chose to write my reaction to.

“… this is how to behave in the presence of men who don’t know you very well, and this way they won’t recognize immediately the slut I have warned you against becoming …”



Mama, I don’t want to become a slut. I want to be a good girl. I really do. I’m trying so hard to do as you say. I want to obey you. I want you to be proud of me. But, mama, I also want to grow to love someone. I sometimes think about boys. I know I’m not supposed to, I know. But, mama, isn’t it OK to think about a boy, a nice boy mama, someone you would like. Because I do, sometimes I think about what it would be like to hold his hand or have him say I’m beautiful. Maybe even ask me to take a walk or go to a dance. Wouldn’t that be all right, mama? Wouldn’t it be OK if a nice boy asked me to go on a walk? If he came to you and papa and asked your permission first so you know he’s a good boy? If it happened that way, mama, then I wouldn’t be slut. Right? I would be a good girl, who was liked by a good boy, who asked a girl’s parents properly, right mama? Then, maybe, I could enjoy the walk and not feel guilty for liking a boy – and, maybe, not be the slut you warned me against becoming.

No comments:

Post a Comment